Your wardrobe changes from season to season and so should your skin care routine. As soon as we turn on the heat indoors our skin starts to dry out so its important that we take the necessary steps to keep our skin soft and flake free.
Here are my top tips for battling itchy dry skin this season:
- Avoid hot showers and limit your time spent in them. Hot water strips your skin of its natural oils. Use warm water instead.
- Look for lotions containing “humectants,” a class of substances (including glycerine, sorbitol, and alpha-hydroxy acids) that attract moisture to your skin.
- Avoid using harsh peels, masks, and alcohol-based toners or astringents.
- Use face masks that are “deeply hydrating,” rather than clay-based, which tends to draw moisture out of the face.
- Use a face serum in addition to your daily moisturizer
- Switch up your face wash for a cleansing milk or mild foaming cleanser.
- Invest in a humidifier to increase moisture in the air. Another solution is to place bowls of water in the room that you spend most of your time in. The water will evaporate and add moisture to the air.
I plan on making a trip to Sephora this weekend to shop for new winter skin care products. Any recommendations? Tips?
Do you switch up your skin care routine based on the weather?